Dog Registration Regulations – 2012 update on the laws in Beijing
Official Dog registration and licensing period in Beijing:
- All dogs in Beijing municipality must be registered. There are no exceptions. The law applies to dogs owned by diplomats as well as to service dogs
- For NEW dogs (never previously registered): Pet owners may register newly adopted or imported dogs anytime after January 1st. Please inquire with your local Public Security Bureau (PSB) to register your new dog. The registration will be valid from the date of registration payment until April 30, 2013
- For dogs that are already registered: The registration renewal period for all dogs in BJ municipality runs from May 1st - June 30th each year. The renewed dog license will be valid this year from May 1, 2012 to April 30, 2013
- The Public Security Bureau (PSB) administers dog registrations and issues licenses. Please check with your local PSB if you have any specific questions concerning registration of dogs in your neighborhood. Each local PSB precinct (Pai Chu Suo) will have the final say on registration of dogs within their neighborhoods.
- There is no municipality-wide microchipping requirement in Beijing for dog registration purposes
- For identification purposes, owners are recommended to attach a Pet ID tag to the collar with the mobile phone number engraved on the tag, even if the pet is already microchipped
- ICVS can custom-engrave Pet ID tags for pet owners on-site within minutes
- ICVS offers microchipping services for all pets and carries a supply of the European Union ISO 11784/11785 standard microchips. Please contact ICVS for more information about microchipping
Size Restrictions on Dogs and Registering Multiple Dogs:
- Dogs registered within the 8 major districts of Beijing Municipality (e.g., Chaoyang, Dongcheng, Xicheng, Chongwen, Xuanwu, Haidian, Fengtai, and Shijingshan) must not be taller than 35-cm from the ground to shoulder
- Only one dog may be registered per household address. If you own multiple dogs, you will need a second household address to register the second dog.
Initial Registration of your Dog:
- If you are registering your dog for the very first time, you DO NOT NEED TO SHOW PROOF OF RABIES VACCINATION to the PSB. Explain to the police that you are registering your dog FOR THE FIRST TIME
- The PSB’s assumption is that newly adopted dogs or puppies have not yet been rabies vaccinated by the new owner. Once you pay the registration fee and receive your license, you are eligible to go to an officially designated animal vaccination hospital for a FREE or significantly discounted rabies vaccination
- The International Center for Veterinary Services (ICVS) is an officially designated animal vaccination hospital. Dogs registered in Chaoyang District are eligible for a FREE rabies vaccination with proof of valid license and the “fa piao” (official receipt) from the PSB
- All registered dogs with valid licenses from any other districts are eligible for discounted rabies and other vaccinations. This is part of ICVS’ program to encourage dog owners to register their dogs. The law requires all dogs in China to be rabies vaccinated each year. China does NOT recognize the 3-year animal rabies vaccines used by other countries
- If your dog is spayed or neutered at an officially licensed and registered animal hospital such as ICVS, the hospital can issue you an official BJ “Spay/Neuter Certificate.” This spay/neuter certificate entitles the owner up to a 50% discount on the initial registration fee at the PSB (e.g., RMB 1,000.00 initial fee, reduced to RMB 500.00).
Annual Renewal of Dog Registration Licenses:
- If you have already registered your dog last year, please ensure that you renew the registration for 2012/2013
- All registered dogs must have their registrations renewed during May 1st - June 30th each year
- If you spayed or neutered your dog after the initial registration, your official “Spay/Neuter Certificate” from ICVS will entitle you to a discount (e.g., up to RMB 200.00) on the registration renewal fee at the PSB. Check with your local PSB for details and restrictions
- To RENEW the license, you will need to prove to your local PSB that your dog has been vaccinated for rabies at an officially designated animal vaccination hospital. The PSB will ask you for the official Beijing Animal Health and Immunity Certificate (vaccination red book) before renewing the license
- See a photo of the official vaccination immunity certificate (red book) at the ICVS web site: www.ICVSASIA.com
International Center for Veterinary Services
No. 13-16 Rong Ke Gan Lan Cheng Shang Jie
Fu Tong Xi Da Jie, Wangjing
Chaoyang District, Beijing, PRC 100102
Tel: (8610) 8456-1939/1940/1941
Fax: (8610) 8456-1940
©2006-2012 International Center for Veterinary Services. All rights reserved.